By Giorgio Zanarone
The Society for Institutional and Organizational Economics awards prizes in institutional and organizational economics, named after the four Nobel Prize winners closely linked to the society. The awards are as follows.
- A Ronald Coase Best Dissertation Award (annual)
- An Oliver Williamson Best Conference Paper Award, for the best paper delivered at the SIOE conference (annual)
- A Douglass North Best Book Award, for the best book in institutional and organizational economics published during the previous two years (bi-annual, next in 2024)
- An Elinor Ostrom Lifetime Achievement Award, for sustained significant academic contributions to the field (bi-annual, including 2023)
The details of the nomination and selection procedures are available here, on the SIOE website.
The calls for nominations for the 2023 Ronald Coase Best Dissertation Award and the 2023 Elinor Ostrom Lifetime Achievement Award are now open. The results will be announced at the 2023 SIOE Conference (in Frankfurt, August 24-26).
The Ronald H. Coase Dissertation Award:
- Anyone may nominate a dissertation (including the author). To be eligible, the candidate’s PhD must have been awarded during the calendar years 2021 or 2022.
- Nominees must submit a 5-page abstract of their dissertation, and must have their advisor or a Ph.D. committee member send a letter (under separate cover) explaining the contribution of the dissertation and why it should be considered for this award.
- The Coase Award Committee will review entries and choose a shortlist of finalists. Finalists will be asked to submit their full dissertation.
- Submissions should be sent to the chair of the 2023 Coase Award Committee, Mariana Prado, at email@example.com.
- The deadline for submission of abstract and letter is April 30 (Anywhere on Earth).
The Elinor Ostrom Lifetime Achievement Award:
- For sustained and significant academic contributions to institutional and organizational economics. It is open to anyone.
- Nominations may come from any member of the academic community, including scholars who are not linked to SIOE.
- Nominations must include an electronic letter detailing the reasons for the nomination and a copy of the nominee’s CV.
- Submissions should be sent to the SIOE Secretary, Giorgio Zanarone, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The submission deadline is April 15 (Anywhere on Earth).