Are you a (prospective) student or a researcher interested in institutional or organizational economics, broadly defined? Here we list a few resources that can make it easier to understand this interdisciplinary field better. The lists are neither complete nor aimed to be definitive.
Some graduate-level courses on institutions and/or organizations (syllabi accessible without passwords):
- Steven Tadelis and Noam Yuchtman (Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley): "Economics of Institutions"
- Peter Klein (Baylor): "Economics of Institutions and Organizations"
- Avner Greif (Stanford): "Institutions and Organizations in Historical Perspective"
- Benito Arruñada (Pompeu Fabra): "Organizations and Markets"
- Robert Gibbons (MIT Sloan): "Organizational Economics"
- Michael Powell (Northwestern Kellogg): "The Economics of Organizations;" here are the full lecture notes
- Jens Prüfer (Tilburg): "Organizational Economics"
- Frederic Warzynski (Aarhus): "Organizational Economics"
- Daron Acemoglu, Abhijit Banerjee, Esther Duflo and Ben Olken (MIT): "Political Economy of Institutions and Development"
- Richard Langlois (Connecticut): "The Economics of Organization"
Summer schools and regular workshops:
- Institutional and Organizational Economics Academy (formerly: ESNIE European School on New Institutional Economics): an annual summer school organized by Eric Brousseau (Paris-Dauphine) in Corsica, involving many researchers related to SIOE.
- The Ronald Coase Institute organizes annual workshops on institutional analysis targeting young scholars.
- The Summer Institute For Behavioral and Social Scientists: Organizations and their Effectiveness is run by Bob Gibbons (MIT) and Woody Powell (Stanford) at the Center for Advanced Studies in the Behavioral Sciences at Stanford University.
Some recent research books offering a broader perspective on institutions and/or organizations ... :
- Douglas W. Allen. 2012. The Institutional Revolution. University of Chicago Press.
- Timothy Besley. 2006. Principled Agents? - The Political Economy of Good Government. Oxford University Press.
- Avinash Dixit. 2004. Lawlessness and Economics: Alternative Modes of Governance. Princeton University Press.
- Marcel Fafchamps. 2004. Market Institutions in Sub-Saharan Africa: Theory and Evidence. MIT Press.
- Nicolai J. Foss and Peter G. Klein. 2012. Organizing Entrepreneurial Judgment: A New Approach to the Firm. Cambridge University Press.
- Robert Gibbons and John Roberts. 2012. The Handbook of Organizational Economics. Princeton University Press.
- Avner Greif. 2006. Institutions and the Path to the Modern Economy: Lessons from Medieval Trade. Cambridge University Press.
- Peter T. Leeson. 2009. The Invisible Hook: The Hidden Economics of Pirates. Princeton University Press.
- Chrys Mantzavinos. 2004. Individuals, Institutions, and Markets. Cambridge University Press.
- Claude Menard and Mary Shirley. 2005. Handbook of New Institutional Economics. Springer.
- Douglass C. North, John Joseph Wallis, and Barry R. Weingast. 2009. Violence and Social Orders: A Conceptual Framework for Interpreting Recorded Human History. Cambridge University Press.
- Josiah Ober. 2015. The Rise and Fall of Classical Greece. Princeton University Press.
- Sheilagh Ogilvie. 2011. Institutions and European Trade. Merchant Guilds 1000-1800. Cambridge University Press.
- Jared Rubin. 2017. Rulers, Religion, and Riches: Why the West Got Rich and the Middle East Did Not. Cambridge University Press.
... and some classics:
- Robert C. Ellickson. 1991. Order Without Law: How Neighbors Settle Disputes. Harvard University Press.
- Henry Hansmann. 1996. The Ownership of Enterprise. Belknap/Harvard University Press.
- Oliver Hart. 1995. Firms, Contracts, and Financial Structure. Oxford University
- Mancur Olson. 2000. Power And Prosperity. Basic Books.
- Elinor Ostrom. 1990. Governing the Commons: The Evolution of Institutions for Collective Action. Cambridge University Press.
- Oliver E. Williamson. 1985. The Economic Institutions of Capitalism. The Free Press.
Some academic journals that frequently publish research in IOE:
- American Law and Economic Review
- Journal of Comparative Economics
- Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization
- Journal of Economic History
- Journal of Economics and Management Strategy
- Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics
- Journal of Law and Economics
- Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization
- Journal of Legal Analysis
- Journal of Legal Studies
- Public Choice
Online databases of contracts with US state governments:
- Here is a very nice collection of websites of contracts with state governments, ready to be explored by researchers. In some databases, you can search by contractual terms, download results, and, in many cases, access the full text of the original contract and any amendments.